Crime prevention is not something that can be accomplished by any one person or group alone. It takes a village to raise a child, so too, it takes a community to create safer neighbourhoods.
Getting involved as a Friend of Crime Prevention in your neighbourhood, community, places of faith, work, school and home helps to grow the Smart on Crime momentum in Waterloo Region. When we work together and keep our focus on what is most effective - now and in the future - we can create change that lasts.
You are part of this change when you are a Friend of Crime Prevention.
You may already contribute to crime prevention but haven't made the connection between what you do and how it contributes to the larger picture. Becoming a Friend of Crime Prevention will make those connections clear to you.
Being a Friend does not require you to be a member of the WRCPC or serve on any of its committees! There is a way for everyone to be involved:
Any individual or organization with an interest in prevention that supports the following values and principles of crime prevention through social development can be a Friend of Crime Prevention.
- Attend council or committee meetings
- Volunteer at an event (Say Hi, In The Mind's Eye, Justice Dinner)
- Participate in community consultations, workshops, forums, surveys
- Follow WRCPC on Twitter and Facebook
- Organize a neighbourhood or community event
- Prevention - preventing crime through dealing with the root causes
- Respect - just and humane approaches to crime and its consequences
- Collaboration - all sectors of our community working together
- Innovation - the community is part of the solution
- Knowledge - effective action is based in knowledge, experience and wisdom
- Use your best skills, passion and knowledge to promote a broader understanding of crime prevention
- Learn from and network with other community leaders and practitioners
- Directly contribute your experiences and expertise to education and awareness
- Exchange and share knowledge, news and activities
Complete our Friends of Crime Prevention online form and select the types of contributions and activities that are the best fit for you.
And it's totally FREE! All we want is your passion, energy and great ideas.
You can find more details in this background document or give us a call to ask your questions.